Boxing News 24 Forum

Boxing News 24 Forum (http://www.boxingforum24.com/index.php)
-   Classic Boxing Forum (http://www.boxingforum24.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Mickey Walker vs Pernell Whitaker (http://www.boxingforum24.com/showthread.php?t=444662)

LittleRed 11-22-2012 06:50 AM

Mickey Walker vs Pernell Whitaker

Just what it says on the Tin. 15 rounds, welterweight, best vs best.

Toy Bulldog vs Sweet Pea

Who you got? And as any good math teacher would say: show your work!

red cobra 11-22-2012 08:41 AM

Re: Mickey Walker vs Pernell Whitaker

Walker would be too strong for Sweet Pea. It would be a higher class Hamsho-Benitez type of affair IMO.

Flea Man 11-22-2012 08:45 AM

The Toy Bulldog, if not cut by Pea's fast punches, would walk through Whitaker and win a decision IMO.

PowerPuncher 11-22-2012 08:45 AM

Pea would completely outbox Walker who didn't do well with pure boxers and wasn't primed at 147 himself, losing to numerous boxers there not fit to carry Pea's jockstrap

Flea Man 11-22-2012 08:55 AM

Also a fair assessment ;)

LittleRed 11-22-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPuncher (Post 14251390)
Pea would completely outbox Walker who didn't do well with pure boxers and wasn't primed at 147 himself, losing to numerous boxers there not fit to carry Pea's jockstrap

Well you could say that. Or you could say that once Walker put it all together he was undefeated at the weight for four years and a couple dozen fights until he probably couldn't make the weight anymore. When he lost the title he fought a future light heavyweight who, more than ouboxing him, was capable of hurting him.

On the other hand this is Pernell Whitaker...

BUDW 11-22-2012 01:14 PM

Pea would be split Pea after a Walker beat down

red cobra 11-22-2012 01:29 PM

Walker would be too damned strong for him. He was used to fighting heavyweights for a little guy like Whitaker to trouble him. If the Pea thought Vasquez was strong...

Surf-Bat 11-22-2012 01:31 PM

Walker, possibly by stoppage. This is not the same un-hittable Whitaker who achieved ATG status at lightweight. The welter version was much easier to tag with hard shots and his best wins there were against fighters who, like him, were smaller guys moving up (McGirt, Chavez, etc). His wins against true welters really aren't all that impressive or numerous.

Walker is too strong. He can bull Pea around and assert his will.

lufcrazy 11-22-2012 04:14 PM

I love the maths teacher reference

MagnaNasakki 11-22-2012 04:40 PM

I'm torn.

On one hand, Walker is the kind of brute who can truly walk through Pernell's punches, find ways to trap him, and punish him.

On the other hand, what if he doesn't? You need to land the shots, and trap Pernell, who is one of the hardest fighters to trap and hit EVER. If you walk through shots but dont get any good offense in? You lose a wide points decision on virtue of getting hit a lot.

Pick em fight to me. I'd lean towards Walker, but he's shown just enough vulnerability to this family of style to bug me about that.

Nightcrawler 11-22-2012 06:21 PM

i am always very reluctant to pick against whitaker, no matter the weight. this time is no different

dpw417 11-22-2012 07:16 PM

Very tough fight to even attempt to figure...Walker wasn't a power punching welterweight, but tremendously strong. From Walker's film at middleweight, you can see the footwork is quick...and it would have to be because Whitaker will force Walker to find a moving target. Walker would probably start aiming towards Whitaker's body after finding Pea is much too elusive to find with anything upstairs. Despite Walker's experience, Pea would be something that Walker hasn't shared a ring with from the standpoint of being a defensive southpaw and the also the overall speed Whitaker possessed.

Tough to say...but Whitaker's style gives him fits.

louis3749 11-22-2012 09:58 PM

I favor the Bulldog, but I agree with dpw417, Sweet Pea may not have been as fast at welterweight, but he was still clever enough to give Walker trouble for at least few rounds until Walker could figure something out i.e. pound that body through the middle rounds, and then try to stop him late. If not, then at least this work rate might get Walker the decision. A tough fight either way.

ripcity 11-22-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki (Post 14253859)
I'm torn.

On one hand, Walker is the kind of brute who can truly walk through Pernell's punches, find ways to trap him, and punish him.

On the other hand, what if he doesn't? You need to land the shots, and trap Pernell, who is one of the hardest fighters to trap and hit EVER. If you walk through shots but dont get any good offense in? You lose a wide points decision on virtue of getting hit a lot.

Pick em fight to me. I'd lean towards Walker, but he's shown just enough vulnerability to this family of style to bug me about that.

This why I'm picking Whitaker by decision.