Boxing News 24 Forum

Boxing News 24 Forum (http://www.boxingforum24.com/index.php)
-   General Boxing Forum (http://www.boxingforum24.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Would Floyd beating Ward be up there with the likes of Ali-Foreman etc (http://www.boxingforum24.com/showthread.php?t=465116)

Webbiano 03-15-2013 08:06 AM

Would Floyd beating Ward be up there with the likes of Ali-Foreman etc

So I'm assuming many of you have seen Ward saying he'd go down to 160 to face Mayweather? Im not really one for ifs and buts, however i wanted to get some of the classics opinions on this potential fight (or not which will probably be the case)

Now considering Ward is a top 3 p4p fighter (although I don't have him there personally) and he also appears to be in his prime, Mayweather would be going up 2 weight classes and would also be 5 weight classes above his best ever weight at 130, would you consider it up there with the likes of Ali-Foreman, Duran-Leonard, Schmelling-Louis etc as the greatest individual win of all time?

I'm also aware that the performance from Ward would also probably effect how good the win would be considered, but let's say Floyd wins a close but clear decision 116-113/7-4-1 style. Your thoughts?

McGrain 03-15-2013 08:14 AM

Re: Would Floyd beating Ward be up there with the likes of Ali-Foreman etc

Yeah, that would be a pretty insane win.

PowerPuncher 03-15-2013 08:21 AM

It would be up the with Robinson beating Marciano in the parallel universe where both happened. I hear the physics of weight doesn't work quite the same in that universe, Rocky beat Wlad in a time machine fight too and Dinolivet was vindicated on ESB.

Ward would obviously beat the **** out of Floyd and it would obviously never happen.

Flea Man 03-15-2013 08:58 AM

Ward might well be Chad-esque at 160.

Still a quality win but if Floyd beat Martinez at 160 then Ward at 168 he'd justify the top ten ATG rankings he sometimes finds his way into.

PowerPuncher 03-15-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea Man (Post 14957657)
Ward might well be Chad-esque at 160.

Still a quality win but if Floyd beat Martinez at 160 then Ward at 168 he'd justify the top ten ATG rankings he sometimes finds his way into.

How many top 10 P4P gave up 20-30lbs against someone as good as Ward? How many weight classes did Pep go up?

Now Martinez I'd like to see him give it go against.

Flea Man 03-15-2013 09:18 AM

Yeah but Floyd is making up for a woeful resume and lack of regular fighting.

Jorodz 03-15-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea Man (Post 14957741)
Yeah but Floyd is making up for a woeful resume and lack of regular fighting.

and legitimate challenges. how many of his opponents over the past, 8 years or so, have an asterix beside their names

Cotto-UD 12 *coming off two knockout loses, past his best date clearly and 2 weight classes above when the fight was first discussed

Mosley-UD 12 *****ing 10 years past his prime, WAAAAY after fight was first discussed

Hatton-KO 10 *really a 140 pounder, struggled with collazo, and was ricky hatton

Judah-UD 12 *he's a moron and i still gave zab at 4-5 rounds

Marquez-UD 12 ***** off

who was he not heavily favoured over? who presented him with a stylistic challenge? Zab did and gave him hell for the first half and scored a knockdown

How many of those fights should have happened FAR sooner? How many fighters did he just happen to fight went they were ****ing ancient? How many fighters did he just never fight at all when relevant?

Floyd gets **** on here and I think he's a top 50 all time fighter but holy **** you can pick apart his resume without much effort at all

Jorodz 03-15-2013 09:29 AM

having ranted, i have manny CLEARLY ahead of him on my all time list and if he beat martinez and/or ward, he might have a chance to jump ahead

MagnaNasakki 03-15-2013 10:29 AM

That would be one of the very best wins of all time. Right up there with FOTC and Duran-Leonard I. A small welterweight beats his pound for pound heir apparent super-middleweight king? Yeah. That'd be crazy.

It'd do amazing things for his legacy. He's a great fighter now, but a lower-tier great. I think his wins lately get underrated(Mosley was coming off beating Margarito, which was a big deal, Ortiz off of Berto, Cotto had reestablished himself at 154...), but he certainly hurts for a signature win. Not only would that be a signature win, but it would possibly be THE win.

Just like FOTC makes Joe Frazier go from very good champion to right up there with the best, a win over Ward would absolutely make Floyd Mayweather do the same.

Jorodz 03-15-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki (Post 14958054)
That would be one of the very best wins of all time. Right up there with FOTC and Duran-Leonard I. A small welterweight beats his pound for pound heir apparent super-middleweight king? Yeah. That'd be crazy.

It'd do amazing things for his legacy. He's a great fighter now, but a lower-tier great. I think his wins lately get underrated(Mosley was coming off beating Margarito, which was a big deal, Ortiz off of Berto, Cotto had reestablished himself at 154...), but he certainly hurts for a signature win. Not only would that be a signature win, but it would possibly be THE win.

Just like FOTC makes Joe Frazier go from very good champion to right up there with the best, a win over Ward would absolutely make Floyd Mayweather do the same.

right now, unfortunately, his signature win is corrales. and corrales wasn't much

pac would have been his signature win and an easy one at that, but he blew that one

Flea Man 03-15-2013 10:35 AM

Small welter by today's standard but physically Floyd looks the perfect specimen at 10 and a half stone IMO.

MagnaNasakki 03-15-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorodz (Post 14958077)
right now, unfortunately, his signature win is corrales. and corrales wasn't much

pac would have been his signature win and an easy one at that, but he blew that one

I think they both blew it, and both are hurting for it.

Pacquiao accomplished more in his meteoric rise, but frankly, Floyd is unlikely to ever lose, and if he does, it'll be once. Manny has more Marquez 4's left in his future, I have the feeling.

Both are linked to eachother, and I don't think history will be kind to either for failing to make that fight happen when both had the chance to concede a point to the other. Now Floyd is picking over whoever is the last to achieve anything(Guerrero would be another solid win, but thats all he has is solid wins over solid champions or wins off of guys coming off of great single performances), and Pacquiao is trying to erase the stain of getting put on his face. Sad to see.

MagnaNasakki 03-15-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obviousalt (Post 14958076)
This, if he would do it by way of KO he would have the very best win of all time

Assuming Ward wins his next fight, and Floyd beats Guerrero, and then Floyd goes a knocks Ward out a year later?

Yeah, I'd have to call that the best victory of all time. No other fighter in history would have achieved anything like that; The #1 pound for pound fighter moves up three weightclasses for one fight, drills the pound for pound #2 fighter and becomes the simultaneous #1 at welterweight and supermiddleweight. That's some Henry Armstrong **** right there.

the cobra 03-15-2013 10:45 AM

Not really much of a point in considering it, is there? :lol:

Ward's responding to some hissyfit Floyd threw over a comment he made about rooting for Guerrero. I seriously doubt Mayweather will ever fight at 160, and the same goes for Ward. Fighting at 160 against each other? Yeah, no.

Bummy Davis 03-15-2013 10:49 AM

anyone that could beat Ward would be a great win but for Floyd to do it it would put him in a great great place. I personally think Ward would stop him and I think Floyd knows this