Boxing News 24 Forum

Boxing News 24 Forum (http://www.boxingforum24.com/index.php)
-   Classic Boxing Forum (http://www.boxingforum24.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Charley Burley vs RJJ @ 160 (http://www.boxingforum24.com/showthread.php?t=485676)

BUDW 08-13-2013 09:24 PM

Charley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

15 rds who wins and why?

ETM 08-14-2013 01:04 AM

Re: Chrley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Hard to say. Im pretty sure it would be a tactical maybe boring fight. Jones was so fast and he was slippery. Burley wouldnt be easy to hit either. I think Roy fights cautiously to a close decision. Just too much speed. I dont necessarily think he looks good doing it. Maybe along the lines of the Hopkins fight.

PhillyPhan69 08-14-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETM (Post 15615320)
Hard to say. Im pretty sure it would be a tactical maybe boring fight. Jones was so fast and he was slippery. Burley wouldnt be easy to hit either. I think Roy fights cautiously to a close decision. Just too much speed. I dont necessarily think he looks good doing it. Maybe along the lines of the Hopkins fight.

^ This! Almost impossible to predict. The lack of Burley footage makes it nearly impossible to see how the stylistic advantages/disadvantages would play out. Which rules are being implemented same day weigh in, or day before would benefit each guy dependent upon the situation. I too would lean towards RJJ, but it is more of a guess than a certain prediction.

ETM 08-14-2013 02:17 AM

Good points.

thistle1 08-14-2013 09:29 AM

given the fighters Burley fought and beat, one would have to favour Burley. On the other hand Jones in Burley's day would have been a L-HW come HW, so IF he was able to circle around the top of them divisions, then sure we get a Jones victory.

though IF he was floating in them waters his chin would have been checked a lot sooner than the Johnson or Tarver fights.

also Burley fighting in RJJ's time, Burley would be fighting from Jr Welter - Jr Middleweight, so they NEVER would have met!

JLP 6 08-14-2013 10:13 AM

This would be an absolute test for Mr. Jones. Nothing he has faced is like the skill of Charley. Charley, would not be impressed by Jones, skill or power having dealt with the likes or prime Ezzard Charles.

Jones other than he speed and power brings less to the table than some of the other fighter Burley has faced. Watching Burley slip and pivot and counter tells me that Jones will have to throw punches in bunches and try to make Burley feel his power early of often. Winnable fight for Jones but, not sure.

kmac 08-14-2013 10:24 AM

Re: Charley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

to piggy back off of what thisle said, jones would have been too big for burley. in the little footage we do have a burley, he and jones' fighting styles slightly resemble each other.

JLP 6 08-14-2013 10:51 AM

Geeez...

Charley Burley KO'ed a guy who weight 219 pounds. He beat Archie more and about 4 other guys that weighed over the middleweight limit. Weight is not a problem. BTW, this is not the Heavyweight division. Roy will have to weigh in at 160. In my fantasy fight Roy has to weigh 160 in the fight.

sugarkills 08-16-2013 06:41 AM

Charley Burley is a better version of Roy Jones without footage! It would be a boring ugly fight that would probably end in a SD.

rusak 08-16-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUDW (Post 15615160)
15 rds who wins and why?

Jones all day. Jones was a huge middleweight, 180 lbs in the ring against Bhop. An undersized non-pressure fighter against Jones - it's not going to work. I don't see Burley's usual style causing Jones too many problems. Jones feasted on boxer types and has a massive edge in athleticism. Burley was never stopped, so I think he probably goes the distance, though it's far from certain because Jones had brutal power at the lower weights.

frosty36 08-16-2013 08:23 AM

roy jones was a brilliant fighter but I have to go with Burley on this one. His record is superior in terms of who he faced. It would be a great fight though

the brown bomber 08-16-2013 12:32 PM

Burley wins by UD. His boxing technique and experience would be a huge edge. He would exploit fundamental mistakes RJJ made and he was athletic enough to do it.

Surf-Bat 08-16-2013 12:35 PM

Go look up "Charley Burley- ****yzing genius on Youtube.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

greynotsoold 08-16-2013 12:58 PM

The Jones of the Hopkins fight would not see the 7th round vs Burley; that fight would have been an 8 rounder in Burley's day, and they would have been booed. Burley would hit jones and jones didn't like to fight.
And what does 'a huge edge in athleticism' mean? Is there going to be a track meet after the fight? Will they shoot hoops between rounds? And how do you know? Maybe Charley Burley could run really freaking fast, maybe he could dunk. "Athleticism" is a useless term.

JLP 6 08-16-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greynotsoold (Post 15618947)
The Jones of the Hopkins fight would not see the 7th round vs Burley; that fight would have been an 8 rounder in Burley's day, and they would have been booed. Burley would hit jones and jones didn't like to fight.
And what does 'a huge edge in athleticism' mean? Is there going to be a track meet after the fight? Will they shoot hoops between rounds? And how do you know? Maybe Charley Burley could run really freaking fast, maybe he could dunk. "Athleticism" is a useless term.

I like that you are questioning the term as it relates to boxing. I kinda of feel the same way about strenght. I do think that athleticism, as you might agree, has a significant place in boxing ability.

My example is that Joe Louis may have only been built the throw punches in the ring. Outside of standard boxing moves Louis was not athletic or did not have much use of it. Ali however looked to be able to do much more with his body as far a dodging punches, throwing from weird angles and escaping traps because he had be athletic. He was definatley not a better boxer in a techincal sense than Joey Louis.

Every little advantage counts in the ring.