View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #20
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ali vs Foreman : 2

I have always believed that Ali got lucky against Foreman in Zaire. He was lucky that Foreman played the dope on the rope and failed to pick his punches. He was lucky that the ropes were loose. He was lucky that George's training regiment was disrupted and faulty.

Superstition, circumstances, and luck made Ali what he always was: Destiny's child.

Ali's strategy of sticking and moving was abandoned after the early rounds because George was too aggressive and overwhelming. Ali went to the ropes, talked trash, and gave Dundee fits. But it worked.

Foreman had good reason to regret that fight and it haunted him for 20 years...

Ali did in fact hand Foreman psychological distress as much as a defeat and Foreman was not the same fighter after Zaire ever again. Forget the Lyle fight. The Foreman that rammed through Norton and Frazier was buried. He didn't believe in himself any longer because Ali -by word and deed- got into his head and exploited the self-doubt that is in every Ghetto child.

A rematch circa 1975? If Foreman approached it as a redemption and had a trainer who understood what he needed between the ears, he could have won. Smart strategy would be only the beginning. I would have had Foreman in secret isolation for 3 months to prepare him inside and out. No TV, no radio, and no roads where Ali could drive down in a van and get into George's head. The beast in Foreman would be found again and Ali would have to be dehumanized.

In sum, I believe that Foreman should have beaten Ali and could have. I'm probably alone in the world, but that's okay.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top