Old 07-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #27
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ali vs Foreman : 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Great post Stonehands. While I've already offered my differing viewpoint about a rematch, let me ask you this about a different trainer for Foreman. Who should it have been? The first thing Gil Clancy did was instruct George to shorten up on his punches. While Gil has been widely criticized for altering George's attack in this way, it could also be argued that it was a short. sharp, Clancy type punch which ultimately regained the title for Foreman. Before the match with Jimmy Young, Gil admonished George to spend at least three weeks in Puerto Rico to get acclimated to the heat and humidity. Foreman disregarded Clancy's recommendation, and paid dearly for it. ?

(Later, Mike Dokes made the some mistake before his outdoor match with Ocasio, and recieved a gift draw, as Gil, now providing color commentary on CBS, almost immediately made note of revealing bad signs, like excessive perspiration early in the bout. Afterwards, during his post match interview, Clancy ribbed Dokes about it, who humbly and good naturedly replied, "Believe me, Mr. Clancy, I will never make that mistake again!" For the rematch, Dokes indeed spent three weeks training in Puerto Rico, and got Ocasio in an air conditioned indoor facility. Three quick first round knockdowns later, Dokes had easily avenged his draw.The dramatic contrast between their first and second matches does make me wonder what impact an air conditioned environment might have had on the performances of both Ali and Foreman.)

If Gil Clancy was the wrong trainer to guide Ali after Foreman, who might have been better suited to do the job?
Clancy may be my favorite expert commentator as well as a favorite trainer. Emile was built on his brain. I still hold a bit of a grudge against him for the advice he gave De La Hoya that prompted the Trinidad loss. And I am not positive that he was the best psychologist for post-Zaire Foreman. Foreman needed that as much as a sensible training regiment... he had to be rebuilt from the inside out!

As it was, it took Jesus and a 10 year lay-off didn't it...

The Ali foil (and for that matter, the Jones and Holyfield foil as well) was Eddie Futch. Futch was in my opinion the single best strategist ever and I go back and forth with him and Arcel as to who is the best corner man of all time.

Eddie Futch.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top