Old 07-07-2007, 04:00 PM   #28
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ali vs Foreman : 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89
Clancy may be my favorite expert commentator as well as a favorite trainer. Emile was built on his brain. I still hold a bit of a grudge against him for the advice he gave De La Hoya that prompted the Trinidad loss. And I am not positive that he was the best psychologist for post-Zaire Foreman. Foreman needed that as much as a sensible training regiment... he had to be rebuilt from the inside out!

As it was, it took Jesus and a 10 year lay-off didn't it...

The Ali foil (and for that matter, the Jones and Holyfield foil as well) was Eddie Futch. Futch was in my opinion the single best strategist ever and I go back and forth with him and Arcel as to who is the best corner man of all time.

Eddie Futch.
Clancy and Alcazar were a good partnership for De La Hoya's corner. Alcazar handled the daily duties, with Clancy arriving at Big Bear about three weeks before each fight to put the final touches on De La Hoya's preparation. No doubt Clancy's old age played a part strictly being a consultant for De La Hoya, rather than the head trainer. Arcel came out of retirement like Clancy did to handle Duran in much the same way. The difference between the two corner teams, between rounds it was Arcel who gave Duran most of the advice rather than Brown, while it was Alcazar who got De La Hoya's ear more often than Clancy. Many people in camp were split on exactly what strategy De La Hoya should have used against Trinidad. Some said be aggressive, while others opted for the cuter approach he eventually employed.
Robbi is offline  Top