View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Strength training questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeseph View Post

I'd rather not get into it yet since I am happy with bodyweight workouts.
However, I do think that progressing with the amount of reps in each set is going to be superfluous in a while so I am considering upping the intensity by having extra weight by putting dumbell weights in a little sack and performing the exercises with that on. Which brings me to my questions:
What rep range should I keep the exercises in if I am introducing weights?
Should I follow the weight training range of 3-5?
Should the weight be enough so that I am struggling to finish my last set?

Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread and feel free to critique my workout in any way that you think is appropriate since I am hungry for new knowledge.
Weighted or not weighted doesn't magically mean you have to change the rep ranges to get benefit.

The OPTIMAL for strength training is 1-5 reps, but does that mean you can't get very strong doing 6-20 reps on some things? Of course not. If you can do 20 one armed pushups with 20kg on your back, will you not get strong? Should you only do 5 because that's "strength training"?
Don't get caught up too much in the reps. HOWEVER, there should be a good chunk of your training time taken up by heavier, lower rep work. It is lower rep because you can't DO more reps, not because you are just doing less because your plan says so. So in response to your questions, add some weight and see how you go. When its bodyweight stuff, and similar movements its difficult to overload them too much, hence why dumbells and barbells are very useful in this. What's easier - to load up 100kg on the bench press, or balance 40kg on your back in an evenly distributed manner for pushups? That's why most bodyweight stuff is higher rep. But as I said, if you are doing 20 knuckle decline pushups, and in 2 months you can do 20 of them with a 20kg backpack on, you will be stronger. But on the pullups, for example, since they are easier to hang some weight off you, and nail something HEAVY that you can't do more than 5-6 reps with, that will be a great strength builder. Plyometrics are also a good way to get stronger and more explosive using bodyweight and without resistance.
A struggle is not necessary for you to get stronger, but if you are getting tired and have to work for it, do so, why not! But you don't have to AIM for that or think you are wasting your time.
Anything else, let me know, not sure if I was a bit vague.
MrSmall is offline  Top