Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
That's it you need to get the learning and the hands on experience, it's not one or the other.
Before I was at uni I worked at a plumbing supplies place and a guy started working for us who had done one of those eight week fitness courses. I don't know what he learned during that course but he didn't know what a plyometric exercise was, he didn't know anything about muscle fibres, I don't think he knew anything about anything. And this guy was qualified to train someone! From what I gather all he learned was some exercises to do in the gym, he couldn't tell you how many reps to do or anything like that though.
To the OP if you go to a good uni you'll get the knowledge and they'll get you doing industry prac at the same time. I'm doing a sports science degree at the moment and the units include anatomy, physiology, nutrition, psychology, biomechanics, motor learning/neuroscience, injury rehab, resistance training, cardio physiology and so on. It really is quite extensive and there is more to learn in each area than you might think. I think a good coach should have atleast solid knowledge in each area as you need to see and understand the whole picture so going to uni would definitely be the way to go. At my uni we've had to train clients as part of our assessment and complete industry prac which I did at the institute of sport here so it's all valuable stuff to have on your CV, through the uni I've also done strength and conditioning courses and completed a course to become a certified olympic weightlifting coach. When you're choosing your degree make sure it's an accredited course with your national sports science association.
I wish i'd have done this!
brown bomber is offline  Top