Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #38
BladeJrs
N/A
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Speed Bag Usefulness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
It also forces you to learn the technique until it becomes second nature, so that you can do it with your eyes closed -and that's what you want in the ring --you want your technique to become second nature, where you don't have to think about it.
It doesn't matter much though when the technique doesn't translate to the ring.
i.e. I can learn to headbutt the speed bag in a rhythm, and to get the rhythm down I'd have to learn the technique, but who cares if that becomes second nature if I can't use it when I'm actually fighting?

Quote:
You're concentrating on not only relaxing, but on hitting it properly and timing it. Nothing special about those things? Don't spar with me, sport.
You can do all of that with a sparring partner, pad work, heavy bag etc.
Except with those you'll at least be using just about the same technique as in the ring. If you see anyone trying to punch an opponent the same way they're hitting the speed bag then you're probably watching a three stooges movie or something.

Quote:
...Do you know that you can punch it straight?
If you're looking to punch straight you're better off using something other than a speed bag.

Moral of the story, not much use. Only reason I do it is because people would look at you funny if you told them you box but then are unable to use the speed bag, since it's become such a symbol of the sport in people's minds.
BladeJrs is offline  Top