Old 08-27-2011, 01:04 AM   #42
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Speed Bag Usefulness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeJrs View Post
It doesn't matter much though when the technique doesn't translate to the ring.
i.e. I can learn to headbutt the speed bag in a rhythm, and to get the rhythm down I'd have to learn the technique, but who cares if that becomes second nature if I can't use it when I'm actually fighting?

You can do all of that with a sparring partner, pad work, heavy bag etc.
Except with those you'll at least be using just about the same technique as in the ring. If you see anyone trying to punch an opponent the same way they're hitting the speed bag then you're probably watching a three stooges movie or something
[/quote]
Again, the speed bag is not primarily for technique. It helps develop both timing and rythym. It can help technique if you know what you are doing with it. It appears that several on this thread don't understand how to properly use it.

Quote:
If you're looking to punch straight you're better off using something other than a speed bag.
Again, there are many uses for it. If you don't use it, it isn't the end of the world, but to deny that it helps boxers is a pretty clear sign that you probably don't understand it or learned under trainers who didn't understand it.

Quote:
Moral of the story, not much use. Only reason I do it is because people would look at you funny if you told them you box but then are unable to use the speed bag, since it's become such a symbol of the sport in people's minds.
Tell that to Harry Greb, Ray Robinson, Roberto Duran, Archie Moore, and legions of other great, great fighters who used it as a matter of course.

--They're all wrong?
Stonehands89 is offline  Top