Old 07-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #31
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ali vs Foreman : 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Holmes was floored under the guidance of Futch and Arcel. Giachetti left Holmes just prior to his fight with Berbick during early 1981. It was a money dispute which forced Holmes and himself to part ways. Giachetti wanted a higher percentage than Holmes was offering him. Futch and Arcel were then drafted in to work the corner for the Berbick fight on short notice, which if memory serves me correctly was possibly no more than a week. Holmes sure did have those two cagey veterans as apart of his team for the Berbick fight, right up until Holmes fought Williams. And we know why Futch left and Giachetti was once again trainer before Holmes shared a ring with M Spinks.

The fights following Holmes 15 round decision over Berbick during 1981, L Spinks, then Snipes.
Shows you how much I'm relying on distant faulty memory. I recalled Futch and Arcel as joining Holmes for the Cooney match. (It also reveals how long it's been since I was turned off by the changes made to boxing over the last 20 years, specifically the elimination of the 15 round distance which confines me to the Classic Forum. SRL's dethroning of Hagler over 12 rounds, instead of the true championship distance, instantly erased any enthusiasm I once had for the sport. Now, I just reminisce about worthier days gone by, and fading recollections. I feel like a fan of intercollegiate boxing might.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Sponsored Links