Old 10-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #58
MetalLicker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jones Jr: The round: Demonstration of all of his tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
The man never had an equal because he made them look average ..Look at what he did to Hopkins and Toney 2 hall of famers and everyone else that was put in the ring with him .I find it laughable to think DM is some sort of gate keeper to greatness when he himself isn't even that great of a fighter in his own division yet all time !! The man wasn't hit flush in over 15 yrs but yet your going to use what happened to him at the tail end of his career as the reason for his lack of greatness .

If that the case then what does it say about DM who lost to Julio Gonzales who Jones destroyed ! The man cemented his greatness in the 90's and was recognized as such ..None of those people wh gave him that recognition are saying well since he lost we should take it back !
Again, DM was past his prime when he fought Gonzales. It's really easy to bring up such defeats because Jones had a number of them when he was past his prime. Clinton woods beat Johnson who knocked Jones out, so Woods must be better than Jones, right? You know how this game works, so stop playing it.

I never said Jones wasn't great, he just wasn't as great as some of the guys I mentioned. Technical skills and consistency goes a long way and it's the reason why many people consider Hopkins a greater fighter than Jones and Calzaghe, despite being defeated by the both of them.

Jones beat a lot of guys with ease, but outside of Toney & Hopkins, none of them had longevity...unless you count Tarver, who knocked Jones out cold. And ever since his first KO, Jones never overcame that defeat and started the free-fall.
MetalLicker is offline  Top