View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
Lead Right
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mundine-Alverez weigh-in

Alvarez not scared of Mundine's speed
Mexican Rigoberto Alvarez says he doesn't fear Anthony Mundine's supposed edge in speed heading into Wednesday night's interim WBA light middleweight title bout in Newcastle.
Alvarez, who boasts an impressive 27-3 win-loss record, claimed to have the gameplan to bring down Mundine as he sparred for cameras at Tony Mundine's gym in Sydney on Monday.
The Mexican 33-year-old is desperate to beat Mundine and set up the possibility of a rematch with Austin Trout - to whom he lost the WBA light middleweight title in February.
"The last fight was obviously disappointing but that's dead and buried now, that's left in the past," Alvarez, speaking through an interpreter, said on Monday.
"I'm looking forward to this one now, it's a new fight, I've trained hard for it and I'm looking forward to the challenge.
"I'm really aware of Choc's (Mundine's) speed, I know he's a fast man.
"But we've got our own gameplan and we're looking forward to attacking and trying to unravel his fight with our own gameplan."
While Mundine might have the speed to trouble Alvarez, the former NRL star is known to be wary of his opponent's power.
Alvarez, who looked fit and fresh as he shadow boxed around the ring on Monday, has come down four weight divisions during his career, but has maintained the ability to knock down his opponent.
Of his 27 wins, 19 have come by way of knockout.
His pedigree is shown by the fact that all three of his losses have come in either world or regional title fights.
He looms as Mundine's biggest test to date in the light middleweight category, but Alvarez admitted he hadn't seen a lot of his opponent.
"I haven't seen much, but what I have seen is that he's a very elusive fighter, he's a good fighter," Alvarez said.
The two fighters will come face-to-face for the only time before the bout at Tuesday's weigh-in in Newcastle.

source:
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8361466
Lead Right is offline  Top