Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 AM   #11
lzolnier
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Mateusz Masternak has signed with Sauerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaKilla View Post
IMO the anthem is about something that foreigners would never understand or feel .... Also, he will never be a Polak

seems like a nice guy and good fighter tho

Izu was born in Poland and has spent his entire lifetime there, no doubt absorbing its people, history, and culture. He is Polish through and through, with a little twist (that being his Nigerian ancestry). Sure its unusual for Poles to think of someone non white as Polish, after almost two centuries of strife, forced upon isolation and the self induced xenophobia that came as a result, but let's not forget that Poland was the most multi ethnic and multi religous kingdom in all of Europe (at the height of its influence I might add) and this included a sizable black muslim population in the tatry mountains. So I would argue that what is "naturally" considered Polish for the last little while (i.e., a white slavic-catholic dude) is superficial and inconsistent with most of Polish history and therefore its roots. This definition is gradually reverting back to what it used to be (to the anger of some), with guys like Izu and his fellow Nigerian born John Godson, the first black lawmaker in Rzeczpospolita.

Last edited by lzolnier; 11-21-2011 at 03:09 AM.
lzolnier is offline  Top