View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #33
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230
Default Re: Is Heart The Single Most Important Attribute If A Fighter Is To Become An ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
Well, the heart of a champion has always been a factor with the all time greats and a lot of fighter who could have been ATgreat suffered because of there lack of it. An ATG gets off the floor to win and overcomes adversity with heart,Louis, Marciano,Ali,Dempsey,Foreman,Frazier,Tunney have all done this
I disagree because your logic almost embraces imperfection in a fighter and basically implies that a great fighter has to get off the floor to win. Personally I put more stock in fighters who don't have to hit the canvas at all in order to win a fight.

Case in Point:

Which is the greater win?
Foreman TKO2 Frazier
or
Foreman KO10 Moorer

I obviously pick his win over Frazier but YOUR LOGIC suggests that because he was able to overcome odds or adversity in a fight where things were not going his way that the Moorer win should be ranked higher.

You see heart is a great attribute and it is certainly an important building block and component of an ATG fighter but IMO achievement and talent should be placed before heart simply because they are more capable of being quantified than heart. You cannot fully be objective about heart in the same manner as talent and achievement. For instance to measure heart one has to take everything into account not just conditions in the ring but conditions that venture into the innermost thoughts of a fighter, what they are going through personally, emotionally. Someone can get up from a KD or on a Verge of a KO and reverse a fight but someone who has gone through a traumatic experience or hardship in thier personal life yet still show up and give it thier all has just as much heart.

To be cont.
ironchamp is offline  Top