Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #33
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920
Default Re: SEE how well Mayweather can take a punch

av·er·age/ˈav(ə)rij/
Noun:
The result obtained by adding several quantities together and then dividing this total by the number of quantities; the mean.
Adjective:
Constituting the result obtained by adding together several quantities and then dividing this total by the number of quantities.
Verb:
Amount to or achieve as an average rate or amount over a period of time: "annual inflation averaged 2.4 percent".
Synonyms:
noun. mean - medium - mediocrity
adjective. mean - ordinary - medium - middling - mediocre - middle

Now, when people say Mayweather's chin is average, particularly when they say, average at best...IMO they are talking bollocks, they do not understand the definition, and is quite clearly an overused word.

Like I said, people focus on the shots that Mayweather has been hurt by, but then disregard shots that he has taken that maybe should have hurt him more if his chin was in fact "average". Examples in both the Judah and Mosley bouts are there to be seen. He wasn't hurt in the Judah bout, he did take some fast, clean punches in that bout. In the Mosley bout, he was hurt in the 2nd round, recovered well, and was caught with a big flush overhand right in a latter round, I forget which round (but Mosley was gassed by then, right?)...showing a great example of how ANY boxer can be hurt if the punch lands clean enough. The overhand right that landed in the latter round from Mosley was as clean as you like, arguably thrown with the same power as the shot that badly rocked Mayweather in the second.

An average chin, I would rate Khan's chin as average, maybe a touch above average (yes, an overused word). Khan when hit clean on the chin can be stunned, rocked, hurt, and knocked out...by not even KO artists. Mayweather's chin is better than Khan's. He has been in with better boxers, better brawlers, taken harder and cleaner shots and stayed on his feet. There is the difference.

Khan's chin = Average +
Mayweather's chin = Clearly above average (not iron or great though).
AnthonyW is offline  Top