View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Tactics of a Boxer vs. a Swarmer

I recently watched Phillip Holiday vs. Ivan Robinson and it got me thinking. If a guy is pretty much a pure boxer, meaning lots of movement, works off the jab, footwork, fast combinations, but has little power and relies on slickness, how does he face a guy who is a volume punching swarmer?

There aren't a whole lot of guys with this style out there, who just come forward and throw 100 punches per round no matter what.

In that fight, Robinson started off boxing in the early rounds, but could not stay at range behind his jab, was constantly backpedaling and unable to get off because Holiday was coming at him.

After a few rounds, Holiday's tactics completely took Robinson off his game and Ivan ended up coming off his bicycle and getting into a punch count war, playing right into Holiday's hands.

Tactically, Robinson had no answer.

I think this type of fight is the toughest matchup for a pure boxer. What should a guy do? Stick to the jab and move at all costs?

Try and employ more head movement, look for countering opportunities, then clinch when the swarmer flurries?
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links