View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #1505
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Colin Jones D12 Milton McCrory

I think the reactions of the two fighters at the decision tells the story here. Jones celebrated like he had won, McCory was devastated. On the other hand it's a little more complicated.

A great fight described by the styles of the two men, Jones an enormously tough swarming puncher with low volume, McCory a box-mover with a stiff jab. I thought McCrory looked really good here, a little left hand happy and leaning in on occasion with lunging punches, but for the most part a very decent techie with a schooled straight lead and fine footwork. Jones did exactly what he said he wasn't going to do, and ceeded the early rounds to his American opponent, but he also forced McCrory to change his own plan. Determined to stay in and out-fight the Welshman he instead had to get up on his bike and run for large chunks of the fight. Jones was absolutely impossible to discourage, swallowing everythying that was thrown at him, and McCrory had some punches, left hook to the body and jab upstairs are standouts, but the straight right and a sneak uppercut also made an impact.

It looked like being a fight very much of two halves, but McCrory did manage to pinch the 8th on the run (whatever the hugely biased Carpenter commentary might lead us to believe) and also rallied beautifully in the 11th and 12th, despite looking out of it, to take those rounds on my card.

Speaking of which, my card is wider than even the judge that scored for McCrory and the considerable heart and grit Jones showed probably entitled him to more. Still, you score the rounds and not the fights I guess.

JONES: 6,7,9,10

McCRORY: 1,2,3,4,5,8,11,12

8-4 McCrory
McGrain is online now  Top