View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #222
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Yep that's it in a nutshell mate, Part of my boxing 'apprenticeship' as a child i told my father when moving to another gym 'i'm going southpaw' i felt so much better fighting as a lefty.

My only problem and i dunno how this is for most lefty's at AM level but sadly many trainers don't like it, don't know how to work pads for a southpaw and often try change fighters around to orthodox.
It's the same everywhere. They think there's something wrong with being a southpaw. For whatever reason. I wasn't having non of it and turned myself into one, i was so MUCH more comfortable especially in the offensive department. What i found, ironically enough. And i don't know if anyone else has had this experience is that i was generally better at trying to avoid punches in the orthodox stance but the southpaw stance was easier in releasing punches and getting off more. I don't know why that was. Maybe trying to immitate and 'sit on the toilet' like Pernell Whitaker, not doing it properly and walking into punches had something to do with it.
slip&counter is offline  Top