View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
hoopsman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: Re-reading "Legacy of Ashes"-- Someone has to, right Wige?
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ukraine: Lomachenko and????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Lomachenko - 60kg. Don't need to say anything

Berinchyk 64kg - Won Silver, should have been gold. Pretty good all around boxer but usually fights in his locamotiv pressure style and overwhelmes guys with activity and power. He also can fight from both stances and tends to switch frequently when inside. Cuba's Iglesias was being called a P4P top 5 and Berinchyk beat him in the opening round. He also totally dominated and walked through Euro Silver medallist Stalker like he was nothing. In the 2011 Ukrainian Nationals he actually finished 4th but after Bohdan Shelestyuk got injured and Denis beat the #2 and 3 h2h in another tournament before worlds he ended up getting sent and certainly made the most of it. He's brutal and pure excitement.

Taras Shelestyuk 69kg - Gold. Sort of like Kotelnyk, least exciting Ukrainian but very formitable. uses a high guard but with some headmovement, very good timing and counter punching. Was able to beat Serik Sapiyev in the final who i expected to outclass Shelestyuk but he really suprised me and showed how effective he can be shutting guys down even if they're more athletic and quick.

Yevhen Khytrov 75kg - Gold. He can box, brawl, counter very versatile. Won 3 of his 5 fights by stoppage and has very heavy hands, great combination puncher very fluid they just flow from him, great punch selection and accuracy. Can box but prefers to be at mid-range and let loose with his hands while remaining pretty tight defensivly. He's good at making you miss and countering to start off his offense. His footwork isn't as naturally athletic or quick as Usyk or Lomachenko but like them he is terrific at working angles to create openings for his offense. First time you see him he may not impress you a great deal right away but the more you look the more you notice how complete and impressive this guy is. I absolutely love watching this guy.

Oleksandr Gvozdyk 81 kg - Lost to Mekhontsev, qualified for Olympics but didn't medal. 6'3 or 6'4 complete, athletic, coordinated. He can use his size and box from outside or be aggressive and pressure you, good combinations. Is fighting in the WSB for Moscow and is undefeated. Against Mekhontsev he gave a good performance but Egor was a little too much. Under the radar but a real dark horse to medal in the Olympics imo.

Oleksandr Usyk 91Kg - Gold. Usyk is almost Lomachenko level impressive with his natural athleticism and skills. Was slept on going into Worlds i think because people incorrectly thought that Belarus's Karneyeu knocked him out in a tournament before worlds, it was Artem Usyk though not Oleksandr. 6'3 sort of model's his style after Vasyl's with a peek-a-boo style but due to his height will sometimes pull back ala Vitali rather than bob and weave when facing shorter guys. Has the handspeed and combo's of a MW, tremendous with his footwork and working angles. When Artur Beterbiev moved up to HW i told everyone that it was a bad move by Russia and that Oleksandr would beat him, probably with ease, and he did. He walked through Pulev, Beterbiev, Karneyeu, and Mammadov a very, very tough line up and did it rather comfortably. Always knew he had the talent and skill, he's reached that potential now and is scary good.
Dude, thanks for the great write-ups!

I now have several more Ukrainians to keep my eye on in London!

Thanks again for the information-- much appreciated!
hoopsman is offline  Top