View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #56
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: How would a prime Charles have fared against Marciano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
The reality, putting Rocky nughuggers aside who boost Charles to boost Rocky, is that Charles was a terrific fighter, a great light heavyweight and a pretty good heavyweight in an era of small heavyweights .. in addition, there is no doubt that after 100 fights and at age 33 he was past his best when he fought Marciano ... I'm not sure he beats Marciano at his best but I've never felt he was a gage on all time heavyweight greatness ... to me he was a blown up light heavyweight ...

Charles’s peak was 1946-1953.
I hear a lot about Charles being a light heavyweight. He was the same size as jack dempsey. Charles only ever featured in the light heavyweight rankings for two years 1946-1947, before that he was absent during the war and always less than 169lb. so he was a LH for a very short time.
Even 1947 is stretching it, of the 12 times he fought in 1947 only 4 of the opponents Ezzard faced scaled within the light heavyweight limit when he fought them - the rest all being heavyweights. By 1953 Charles had fought and beat more heavyweight contenders than most ATG's.

Both Charles and Marciano started around the same time after the war only difference was Charles also had a brief 28-3-1 record that ended when he was a 21 year old kid (that began when he was still in high school) before he took a 3 year break and started again.

After a clean break from boxing Charles was 55-7 against Marciano who was 45-0 and only 2 years younger.
choklab is offline  Top