View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Saoul Mamby vs Howard Davis Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra33
No offense
None taken
Quote:
but I don't consider Mamby all that.
His fight with Dejesus consisted of alot of holding before he finished him off in the 13th.And Dejesus was no longer in his pime.
Mamby appears to me to be very awkward with a sound chin.
I mean I have the Dejesus bout and I don't consider that a boxing masterpiece.I mean there were so many clinches in that bout it wasn't funny.
Mamby wouldn't be able to deal with Davis's speed.And Davis movement would present Mamby with huge problems.
Davis defeats Mamby by decision.
Granted, DeJesus was an ancient 28, and losing the rubber match to Duran probably extinguished Vita's fighting heart, but he had been undefeated since that loss, and was boxing on live prime-time American television for another title, and chance at redemption.

You do have an advantage on me, in that I haven't seen the match for many years, but I also recall Mamby demonstrating a very fine jab in that performance. I believe Saoul had the defensive skills to blunt Howard, and sufficient speed and power to reach Davis and drop him. I also think Mamby's proven endurance over the 15 round distance would come into play late. Not only was Howard outpointed by Watt, Larry Hazzard has essentially admitted that Vilomar Fernandez was robbed of a decision that was rightfully his, and that their match was the one in which Howard should have sustained his first official defeat.
Duodenum is offline  Top