View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs a selection of yesteryears MW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
These aren't the best H2H MWs but here goes

Les Darcy - Darcy's technique looks very dated, so I will go with Martinez

Mickey Walker - 50-50, Walker has problem with speed and movement but Martinez's low hands against Walker's pressure and power could be a problem

Freddie Steele - Martinez bigger and faster, Steele technically more solid but maybe a bit straight up, hard to pick another 50-50 for me

Fred Apostoli - Apostoli's defence and counter punching and better technique see him win a UD

Tony Zale - H2H I don't rate Zale that highly, I think Martinez's massive speed advantage sees him win here

Jake La Motta - Martinez for me. Lamotta wouldn't have a size advantage here and Martinez is quicker and better outside, hit harder and the southpaw angle may give Lamotta problems. We've seen Martinez can deal with a very very fast pace against WIlliams, so the pressure isn't wearing him down. Lamotta when he does get inside lands but Martinez overall lands more and wins an 8-4 or 7-5 type decision

Ray Robinson - Robi faster and technically better, Martinez bigger, Robi wins a decision

Emile Griffith - Martinez bigger, quicker and the lefty angles, Griffith cutie and highly skilled but in many many close fights. This would be another 1 of them, I'm giving Martinez a slight edge

Carlos Monzon - he wins a few early rounds before Monzon takes over for a comprehensive UD

Marvin Hagler - Hagler wrecks him

Michael Nunn - Nunn is quicker and bigger fighting at a faster pace, Martinez maybe technicially more solid. Nunn UD

Bernard Hopkins - first few rounds maybe close before Hopkins pulls away

So I have him winning 5 of the fights if he wins 1 of the 50-50s
far, far too much credit to Martinez and too, too much disregard for past fighters realities, playing field (Comp) and longeviety... Freddie Steele for example handled a hundred Martinezes, Walker fought UP in divisions, something that just isn't done today and for 40 - 50 years.

Griffith was a beast, Zale by many, many accounts was as tough as anything Martinez could give.

too much disproportional respect for Martinez,

as I've said a million times the men of the past have nothing to prove, it's already been done.

the men of today haven't fought UP out of their divisions,
they haven't met dozens of legitimate TOP contenders and fighters,
they didn't and wouldn't remain on top for years had they done so, the past fighters that did, well again it's already done.

Our boys aren't fighting hundreds of fights with relatively few losses by comparison and at 3 weekly to 5 weekly scheduals and on it goes.
thistle1 is offline  Top