View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #26
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs a selection of yesteryears MW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Zale lost his title to the 40s answer to Arturo Gatti

Who has nothing in common with Martinez, Benvenuti is more of a similar opponent who he went 1-2 against. Rodriguez too more of a similar opponent and most have him losing the series
Zale was at the near tail end of a gruelling, accomplished career..he had just come out of 5 years of service in WW2 to fight a young and uppity Graziano, who he still managed to destroy in 2 of 3 contests. It was past-prime Zale in all the bouts.
You miss my point about Griffith...sure tiger and Martinez were dissimilar, but the victory over Tiger for the crown in '66 beats any thing Martinez has done yet..and you yourself helped prove my second point..that Griffith fought a wide variety of styles.against far better opposition than Martinez has faced.and accomplished more against them in proving his worth as a great technician..adaptable to a variety of styles. Benvenuti would have beaten martinez IMO..let's not even talk about Monzon and Hagler
Martinez is a good fighter and apparently turns on a regrettably large number of Lounge inhabitants in ways that have nothing to do with his fighting abilities..but he has not established himself as great, or even a very good fighter in terms of quality opposition at all. I'll give him time to do that before I start singing his praises against the list previously mentioned..you should do the same.

Last edited by red cobra; 03-18-2012 at 11:57 AM.
red cobra is offline  Top