View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The best five MW's Sugar Ray beat and how that compares to Monzon and Hagler's fi

That's the funny thing; I don't refer to Leonard as "Sugar"... I had a boxing convo with a buddy last night and that's how he refers to Leonard: "Sugar", and it kind of irks me... I think it's a residual side effect from that.

At least that's my excuse for now...

As for Robinson's middleweights comp, we're talking LaMotta, Fullmer, and then it gets sketchy. Alot of guys who are past their best weight or past it a bit.

I'm not sure if Turpin or Basilio or Olson should be considered over fighters who are lesser known but better fighters at the time they fought Robinson.

For Hagler, we have Hearns, Minter, Hamsho, and a bunch of other really tough dudes like Antuofermo and those Philly guys... Duran and Leonard's actual middleweight ability is debatable, but as fighters, they aren't, so this is all subjective.

Monzon has Benvenuti and Valdez, and Briscoe and after that, some names that are past it or past their best...

Looks like the same story for all three to me- plenty of good/great fighters, but not all at their best when they fought. I'm not qualified to debate the nit-picking of all tihs...
DaveK is offline  Top