View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #1797
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Sergio Martinez TKO11 Matthew Macklin

Sergio's waiting style cost him early here as Macklin refused to be psychologically bullied. It was an interesting reversal in fact, and I think that Martinez felt the pressure to get going a bit at first, his boxing was certainly dis-jointed through 5 at which point he started to set down on his attacks a little bit and come looking for Macklin. Nothing dramatic, he just stopped waiting. Still, his tactics remained a little underwhelming, and even if Steward was quite right to say, after the stoppage, that Martinez had adjusted and broken down Macklin. It's true that Martinez's connect rate went through the absolute roof once he had Macklin pegged and he also totally dominated once Macklin started to struggle.

Fair play to Macklin, he made it interesting, loved his early stance and shot selection, I didn't like McGirt's advice in the corner, Macklin should have stepped out more rather than put pressure on with head movement - fighters always forget the head movement part when they get tired. More psychological pressure on Martinez would have been just fine, and he wouldn't have inevitably have fallen into the role of the rat to Sergio's Pied Piper. Still Martinez hypontises fighters, in the same way Jones did, even if those comparisons are overstated.

I'm very interested to see what Martinez does next.

I had Martinez four points ahead at the time of the stoppage, but I had them even going into the tenth. Dual knock-downs in the eleventh made the card wider, but Martinez had this fight nailed down anyway.
McGrain is offline  Top