View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #1233
MyName
Simon Adebisi
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 7331
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
I don't think his legs are the same. But i wouldn't say they're 'gone'. He's just more settled down as most great technical fighters seem to get with age.

There have been many older fighters who settled down and stopped moving so much later in their careers: Ali, Hagler, Leonard, Robinson, Whitaker etc. Floyd conserves energy while he stays in the pocket. He doesn't have to give up much ground like he did before and wants to be more in the pocket with these guys.

Floyd has also got a lot stronger. If you look him in the early days he gave up too much ground because he didn't have the neccesary strength imo. Now he has. I think he took off time to not only let the welterweight landscape clear but to also get stronger.

All you have to do is look how much ground he gave up to Carlos Baldomir. Floyd would not have been comfortable fighting Miguel Cotto or Antonio Margarito at that time. With time and hard work you can get really strong in a couple of years, Floyd has.

Something else people don't realise is, Floyd had terrible hand problems for a long time. Well, his hand problems have cleared. That's one of the reasons he's walking people down and throwing more power punches and sitting down. Also stylistically that's the way he thinks he'll beat these guys today. Once he's figured them out he can press on the front foot.
Said fight he had hand problems which could be a reason why he didn't try to tand his ground more.
MyName is offline  Top