Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Angel 'Cholo' Espada vs. Jose 'Pipino' Cuevas

November 17, 1977

Jose 'Pipino' Cuevas vs. Angel 'Cholo' Espada II

Both fighters left this bout bruised, battered and broken.

Angel Espada suffered a broken jaw (double fracture, right side jaw) in Round 10, after absorbing a
Pipino Cuevas straight right-hand (Photo below).

Pipino Cuevas suffered a bruised jaw in Round 7, courtesy of an Angel Espada right hand bomb.

Angel Espada, 'I proved that I could take his best punches. That first fight, I was caught cold and
never recovered. Tonight, he shook me, but I came back after he wore down a bit. No one can match Pipino in the
early rounds, the only way to beat him is to take him into the late rounds. I had him going in the 7th-Round, but I
couldn't catch him again with the right-hand. In the 10th-Round, he caught me with that right-hand and it broke my jaw.
I tried, but I just couldn't continue.'

Angel Espada, 'I said I would retire if I didn't beat Cuevas. I'm going to think about it, as I have been boxing
for a long time. We'll see in a couple of months, after my jaw mends.'

Later, Pipino Cuevas said that, 'Angel hit me so hard, that I couldn't eat food for '3' weeks. I had to eat by sipping
milk-shakes through a straw. I had a badly bruised jaw. No one has even knocked me down, but that right hand he
hit me with in the 7th-Round, was the closest that I have ever come to going down.'

Round 10, Pipino Cuevas vs Angel Espada II (November 17, 1977)

http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/40...600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited by Senor Pepe'; 08-15-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top