View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #77
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

I returned to the gym the day after winning my quarter final in the ABA's the night before. I only turned up to do a light session and get rid of some stiffness. Only one of my coaches was in (not our head coach). Our head coach had organised another gym to come down sparring with some of our lads (not me). The other gym brought one boxer down, however, none of our lads turned up. It just happened that I was the same weight as this lad. I agreed to have a light sparring session with him so that it wasn't a wasted journey for themselves.

Basically I was ****ed from the night before because it was a tough bout, and I was lethargic as ****. I can happily admit he got the better of me in a lengthy spar, I didn't really care to be honest...I was in the national semi-finals of the ABA's. Anyway, I got out the ring after the spar and his coach came up to me and said something along the lines of, "Don't feel discouraged that our lad is better than you, you will learn, take it as experience and you will improve. Sparring better boxers will help you learn."

I took it on the chin (with a smile on my face).

I asked our head coach the next day to get this same boxer down for sparring next week, he said ok.

The boxer turns up for sparring the next week. They look confident that the same thing is going to happen, their lad is going to have too much for me. Anyway, I beat the shit out of him for a lengthy sparring session (well, it's sparring, so it wasn't 100%). Although he got the better of me the week earlier, I still had success in the first spar. But this time around, he literally couldn't touch me, you could see the frustration on his face, and the shock on his coaches face. I completely outclassed the poor lad.

I stepped out the ring this time around, his coach comes over to me and says something along the lines of, "You've improved haven't you?" I just smiled and walked off.
AnthonyW is offline  Top