Old 05-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #33
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: JDS v Velasquez II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I think this fight is happening too quickly. The only upside will be if Cain wins. Then we have a good rivalry.

If this fight happens in the next few months, and we have the same result as the first fight, then it may seem to be less meaningful than if it is put off a bit. It will have much more meaning if Velasquez wins a couple significant fights first.
Seems to me they are cashing in on the big fight now as opposed to a Chuck v Tito slow build. I think they REALLY want to put the title back on Cain ASAP. JDS is a good fighter and a great guy, but the Mex/Am $'s seems to be the main goal here. Rather Cain lose v the Champ rather than against someone else seems to be the thinking. Cain has been known to pick up injuries as well

They have another potential star in Cormier, who importantly has a good back story and is American, waiting in the wings and decent matches against Werdum, Overeem, and maybe Josh in the meantime until Cormier is ready to face who ever has the belt. But Reem is out for the near future, and the others lack maybe the drawing power and the credibility

Possibly the wrong move giving Cain as shot as you say. And Cain isnt undeserving, but Id rather maybe one more match for him ideally. But it's the biggest money fight, that's all that matters I guess
Stoo is offline  Top