Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #42
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: 71 Ali vs Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post

As a technical pressure fighter he's a few levels above Dempsey because Dempsey had no jab and often a defence that you can penetrate with your eyes closed. Marciano had a much better defence than Dempsey, was fitter, a better bodypuncher, much harder hitter, stronger and better at breaking opponents down
Its an interesting comparison. Dempsey or Marciano?

I think its fair to say that Marciano was the better champion and probably the greater heavyweight. I dont know if he was the better fighter at his peak though.

Id give Rocky the edge in conditioning and cutting the ring and applying constant pressure even into the mid and late rounds. Rocky fought the more Skillful contenders in Moore, Charles etc.

I dont agree that Marciano hit harder than Jack Dempsey though. Jack Dempsey fought some big boys. Yeah they were Oafs but in the heavyweight division there is something to be said for size and power. Brute strength cant be ignored. Guys like Firpo and Willard, Morris, Fulton were big powerful heavies and Dempsey hurt all of them. Jack Dempsey hurt everyone he ever hit.

I think Dempsey was the better puncher.
ETM is offline  Top