View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #35
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 498
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Yeah, and that's all I'm doing. But the internet seems to create a tsunami of:

OMG! WTF! DIZ WILL NEVA WORK! LOLZ!

There were posters, like leforge, who basically derided it from the second it existed. That's daft when, on the whole, it puts more boxing in reach. How could that be a bad thing?

The argument was that it took more boxing from Sky, but it doesn't seem to want more boxing.
I'd agree wholeheartedly on this point.

Quote:
If Frank is failing to pay his stable (and we've never had that verified by any legitimate source), then they are within their rights to tell him to get ****ed. It's shameful.

I don't believe BoxNation is an issue, I think that some fighters (like DeGale) are just ****ed off in general. He's a primadonna anyway, and sells next to no tickets. No big loss.
My only concern with Boxnation is that promoters will refuse to make fights unless they are to be shown on their preferred channel.
With Boxnation Frank cannot possibly allow his boxers fight elsewhere even if it is the right move for everyone apart from the Box nation investors.
Therefore if he had any intention of making Clev/Bellew II there is no way he could agree for it to be on SKY even if that is in the best interests of his boxer.
I just hope a way is found to make the domestic matches we need to grow the sport in this country. The casual boxing fans remember Benn/Eubank/Watson and I think its these big domestic matchups that would rekindle their interest in televised bouts.

Quote:
But Bellew is a different case. I'm not sure whether it's Frank's reluctance to get him a Cleverley rematch (even though he didn't deserve the first one, IMO), or just being a bit of a drama-queen - but that's a genuine loss to Frank.
Bellews style is a huge draw, as well as his personality. Fans either love him or hate him, and its that which is great for domestic televised fights.
While not as personable I think this is where Frank is missing a big trick allowing this feud with DeGale to continue.
Everyone doesn't need to love him, love to see him get beaten is just as popular.
flatulent_bob is offline  Top