View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Sonny's jab

vCash:
Default Re: Journeyman defined for those who don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I'm referring to the usage of the term as it pertains to boxing, and yes boxrec hit it right on the head in my opinion. There was a very good reason for my doing this, as authors here have grossely confused journeyman with whatever. I personally do not consider men like Jerry Quarry to be a journeyman boxer.

Now the lecture is officially over...
The usage of the term as it pertains to boxing is the same as what Senya13 has uncovered in the Oxford and Merriam-Webster dictionaries :

Quote:
2 a worker who is reliable but not outstanding.
OR

Quote:
2 : an experienced reliable worker, athlete, or performer especially as distinguished from one who is brilliant or colorful
These are better and more accurate definitions than the Boxrec Encyclopedia's fighter who has "little or no expectation of winning his fights" - really, what kind of crap is that ?
A fighter who has little or no expectation of winning his fights is probably NOT a "generally competent boxer with solid boxing skills" as Boxrec goes on to assert. That's contradictorary.

Also, the "along for the journey" origin seems to be almost entirely false, since both dictionaries suggest "journey" is an archaic word for a day's work. A journeyman is a man who does a day's work, works well but is nothing outstanding or special.

In boxing, the chances of a journeyman being successful in his day's work obvious rest entirely on the level of his opponent. Against novices, the inept, the unskilled, the untrained or under-trained his chances of winning are high.
Against other journeyman his chances are even.
It is only against the elite, super-talented and exceptional practicioners should he have little or no expectation of winning.