Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Journeyman defined for those who don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Lately, a lot of folks ( and not just a few ) have misused the term journeyman to almost embarrassing proportions. I have recently heard some posters refer to fighters like Quarry, Ellis, Bonavena, Shavers and Ken Norton as journeyman. This is a horribly incorrect use of the word.
Quite right. It also renders the term "contender" quite useless, unless you're talking about the frigging tv show.

Quote:
A journeyman is a boxer who has little or no expectation of winning his fights, thus he is said to be " along for the journey ". They are generally competent boxers who posses solid boxing skills and or the ability to absorb punishment. Often they were aspiring novices or even prospects, but were defeated and found to have limitations which relegated them to the role of Journeyman.

I think this is a decent definition. I'd also say that it's a fighter who has "hit the roof" in terms of his development (for all intents and purposes) before he's reached championship level. This is why a sudden leap late in a career can REVERSE the journeyman status. A fighter can cease to be a journeyman.

Quote:
TO Mcgrain:
Quote:

You slapped me on the hand for calling James Braddock a journeyman. This article continues by making references to him and others:

There have been boxers who were considered journeyman, who have gone on to have success in boxing.

Jim Braddock- A former #1 ranked light heavyweight contender, he had been relegated to journeman status before propelling himself to win the heavy weight title from Max Baer...
I know this about Braddock. Those who called him a Journeyman at the time have reasoning - those who can look back at a former #1 ranked LHW and World Heavyweight Champ (the most lauded sportsman in the world) have the opportunity to revise.

Calling Braddock a journeyman with 20/20 hindsight is not sensible IMO.

Thanks for posting the link/summary, i think it was a fine idea.
McGrain is offline  Top