Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: James "chunky" Degale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-Mitchell View Post
What is your opinion of him?

I used to think he was really going places, I feel he is naturally very talented, he does show flashes of an elite skillset, but he seems lazy and very arrogant.

I thought his fight with groves was very close, and that degale really underestimated and had no respect for George.

I hoped he would learn from that and be better for it, because if he really worked hard and kept focused he would be a really good fighter. Sadly I just don't think he has the focus
Big Phil Degale has some good skills but no where near as good as he thinks. Flashiness and substance are not the same thing. He looked a million dollars against Paul Smith but people did not grasp that Paul Smith was ready made to order. I know Groves would beat Degale because not only are Groves fundamentals better he has superior fighting IQ which is a quality Degale lacks. Groves has several ways of beating Degale. By boxing on the backfoot DeGale did not have an answer. Even if you don't like your opponent you don't go in there not respecting him. Degale prepared with his cheerleaders whilst Groves went to Florida sparring with seasoned better world class fighters like the Dirrell brothers, hungry youngsters like Chris EubanK Jnr etc. The early years in developing a young fighter are critical. Ward learned, Groves is learning unfortunately Degale is not.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top