Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jack Dempsey versus Jerry Quarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
This is actually a good fight and noway 1 that Dempsey dominates, Dempsey probably has never beat an opponent as good as Jerry Quarry

Quarry is better technically than Dempsey and makes less mistakes, his punches aren't as telegraphed as Dempsey's can be and he has a jab. Dempsey is the better puncher overall though and maybe has the better stamina. Quarry is bigger with an iron chin

Dempsey has the better stamina here though, so for that reason he has the edge as the fight progresses

Cut it anyway you want but Quarry probably beat better fighters than Dempsey and Dempsey also got dominated against his best opponent. He also drew against Miske, lost to Meehan and got KO'd by Fireman Flyn and resorted to cheating to beat Sharkey

Also Quarry looked **** against Frazier? I take you haven't seen that fight, the bigger Frazier had to walk through fire to get the win

If Quarry didn't have to fight black fighters to become champion and keep the championship how long would he have been champ for?
As usual Quarry gets overrated. I've seen all of the Quarry massacres. He was aggressive vs. Frazier in 1969 fight but he never hurt Frazier or had control of the fight. Whatever he gave Frazier... I certainly wouldn't call it hell. Anyway, he didn't make it past round 7. It was an entertaining s**** but Quarry never had a chance in this fight.

Quarry really didnt get a chance to do much vs.

Ali LKOby3 in 1970

Ali LKOby7 in 1972

Frazier LKOby5 in 1974

Norton LKOby5 in 1975... I'll admit that this wasn't the best version of Quarry that I've ever seen but Norton was on this night. I'm not sure he could have ever done much better.

Some of you act like Quarry was robbed in these fights or something. He never even made it to round 8 vs. any fighter who was ever a World Champ and he was never ahead in these fights. Oba Carr did better vs. DeLaHoya, Trinidad, and Quartey. He also beat Derrell Coley, Frankie Randall, and Campas, and drew with Anthony Jones. Carr did more than hold his own in the losses I mentioned. He dropped Trinidad and fought very well before being stopped in round 8. Lost a close decision to Quartey. Gave DeLaHoya much trouble before being stopped in round 11.

As time goes by Quarry keeps getting better and better. Now he has a good jab and was a great counterpuncher? Yeah, I'll admit he was a tough guy but he down a good bit and not just by top fighters. He was also stopped 6 times. His overall durability was not on the level with guys like Ward or even Gatti.
Hookie is offline  Top