Old 07-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jack Dempsey versus Jerry Quarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
You're making the mistake of using records instead of studying the film. And in what way have I overrated Quarry, I don't consider him great just a very good contender and better than anyone Dempsey beat.

And Quarry wasn't as durrable as Ward or Gatti now His stoppages against Frazier/Ali in the first fights were cuts stoppages, his rematch with Ali was waved off when he wanted to continue, the Frazier rematch past his best the ref stopped it same with Norton. His chin was rock solid, especially in his prime

Quarry was giving Frazier a pasting early on, rewatch the fight

Quarry fought everyone in the best HW era, Dempsey avoided the best in a poor era. Quarry probably beats everyone than Dempsey beat, there's not too much shame in losing to ATGs
You act like he was bleeding before theses fights started.

I for one think Quarry's skin is what gets underrated lol Quarry could take a lot of punishment before his skin opened up!

He got stopped on cuts because he got hit a lot... that's gonna make you not so durable IMO. If a fighter gets cut a lot and stopped on cuts... Henry Cooper, Jerry Quarry, etc... then I will view them as not so durable. It has nothing to do with heart or chin. Quarry did have heart and he did have a decent chin... but he could be dropped and he was dropped (7 times I think) and not always by big punchers.

How many times did you ever see Ward go down? Two quick knockdowns I believe. He was stopped on cuts once and that was BS.

I'm not one who overrates Dempsey BTW. I think he gets overrated a lot... but not as much as Quarry does.
Hookie is offline  Top