View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
FlyingFrenchman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: What if Ezzard Charles had gotten a title shot at Lightheavy

Charles has always been one of my all-time favorties to watch and discuss (I'm 72 BTW) but in recent times he has gotten the respect he deserves. Sure, some still underrate but even a few overrate as is the case with any fighter.

Charles was the best at LHW IMO and a damn good HW as well. P4P he's up there with Robinson, Armstrong, and a few others.

A pre-prime Charles lost a few times at MW vs. very tough competition.

He lost a hard fought decision to Kevin Overlin (MW Champ), he later drew with Overlin. He also lost a SD to Kid Tunero.

He beat 3 of the best fighters who never won World Titles... Hall of Famers Charley Burley x2, Jimmy Bivins 4 out of 5 (1 KO), and Lloyd Marshall 2 out of 3 (2 KOs).

He beat Hall of Famer and MW Champ Teddy Yarosz. He beat Hall of Famers and LHW Champs Archie Moore x3 (1 KO) and Joey Maxim x5. He also beat LHW Champs Anton Christoforidis and Gus Lesnevich, both by KO. While past prime he lost a questionable SD to Hall of Famer and LHW Champ Harold Johnson.

Charles' resume can not be ignored. I haven't even mentioned his HW run yet... yes the Johnson fight and a couple of the Maxim fights were actually considered HW fights but basically they were LHWs going at it.

So, there isn't really anything Charles could have done to make me think any higher of him.

Last edited by FlyingFrenchman; 07-22-2012 at 02:34 PM.
FlyingFrenchman is offline  Top