Old 07-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #430
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
If it's Adamek/Pulev in the final eliminator, I'm not sure if I see that fight happening. Unless they could figure a way to stage it in Poland.

The IBF's reputation is on the line--they should only select (elite) fighters who are committed to finishing the tourney and who won't bitch out or take their own shot at Wladimir after the first eliminator. Adamek/Walker is a great fight for the fans, but it's questionable whether Walker deserves to be in a title eliminator, just as Derrick Rossy and Maurice Harris didn't belong in the prior elminator.

Part of the problem seems to be the nature of the 2-headed champion. K2 dispose of contenders faster then contenders come up. So there's not much incentive to fight 2 tough eliminators to be a mandatory if you can simply step up and fight a Klitschko anyway (less money then being a mandatory, but way less risk because the contender can skip the 2 dangerous mandatory fights). For example, I bet Adamek and/or Pulev could negotiate a fight with Wlad for Nov/Dec if they were willing.
Good point and yeah, for Adamek it would be a bit more wise. But really, tbh, he only took the shot vs Vitali for the $$$. His entire attitude leading up to and including the fight was that he knew he had no chance. I can't imagine he'd think he had a better chance than now vs Wladimir.

As for Pulev though.....well, he's still young, and getting better each time out. Wlad is already what, 36/37. If Pulev plays his cards right in this tournament he could well be facing a 38 y/o Wlad. So it would be wise for him to give it another yr of buildup.
chitownfightfan is online now  Top