View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Pork Chop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: too much running vs too much weights...whats worse???

The "everyday" part of the prescription is what I don't understand.

I can jog long distances once or twice a week no problem, medium distances maybe another time or two a week no biggie; but my body caps at running 3 or 4 times a week total.
After that is when I start breaking down.
My legs and back will start to get so sore that I can't really do much else.

On top of that is the time considerations of trying to fit in a run every day on top of all the other training I could/should be doing.

Lately, I've been doing 2 boot camp type sessions a week of high intensity interval work for an hour (tues/thurs), I'll do yoga for an hour on mondays to heal my body, I'll jog for 30 min to an hour on Wednesdays, and fridays I'll spar. In addition to that, Mon through Friday I'll do boxing work of some kind - usually including jump rope, shadow, and heavy bag drills for an hour.

I feel like I'm pushing it about as hard as I can go currently.
Spending like 10 hours a week working out.
Everybody talks about ramping up training for competition - but I really don't see how my body could handle much more.

I would think a fighter's capabilities & capacity for training should be taken into consideration when prescribing a workout regimen. This magical "5 to 10 miles everyday" seems like it would be counter productive for all but certain genetically gifted endurance athletes.

Addressing the OP's questions - your workout routine should be based around what you need to work on. If you're overweight or really need stamina work, work on stamina. If you're weak, then work on strength. If you're slow, work on speed.
Pork Chop is offline  Top