View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396
Default Re: Difference between an infighter, swarmer, and pressure fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBumboclart View Post
For me personally, IN FIGHTING is not used in the context today as it once was. Infighting for me is a lost are in boxing that I haven't seen like the 50's or 60's. People call Tyson an infighter - he definetly was not! Did you ever see him work in the clinch or hurt a dude inside? Never he was easy to tie up and was useless in the clinch. In-fighting is roughing people up in the clinches, being able to work inside.
Yeah, a lot people assume that Tyson was an infighter because of his body type and his short reach, but even at his peak he was lazy on the inside. He would let other people clinch him, tie him up, or punch freely on the inside, often without doing much back.

He would occasionally get busy and be effective on the inside, but mostly his strength was at mid-range and at the start of what could be considered close range. When it came to fighting someone nose to nose, Tyson was not in his comfort zone.

You want to see an example of doing infighting right, watch Chavez-Rosario or middleweight fights from the 50 & 60s.
The Wanderer is offline  Top