View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Jon Jones have the best GnP in MMA history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
You always go against the grain Scurla Although I think you are correct in this instance. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say he'd look pedestrian but it seems to me(I don't compete in MMA so I could be wrong) that a lot of his success comes with his physical advantages. He wouldn't get away with as much at HW where guys would be bigger than him.

At the same time though, reach doesn't just make a good fighter. I mean look at Stefan Struve. Jones obviously is a great fighter and has bteean a lot of great fighters like Shogun, Rampage, Machida and Evans
He looses his reach advantage immediately. Secondly Jones is hardly known for his power so how does he keep a 240lb heavy who's bigger stronger and taller than him 'honest'? His striking isn't exactly of a K1 or Muay Thai level so how does he hurt them? How does he defend the TD? Etc etc. At heavy there's far more questions. At heavy he just becomes the same as everyone else except an undersized tweener. Putting the likes of Rampage Shogun et al away is very different to facing a guy like JDS, Cain, Carwin, Overeem, Cormier, Barnett etc.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top