View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: if jones was.................

What kind of silly shit is this? If he were four inches shorter and his body remained proportionally the same, he'd probably be a Welterweight or a Lightweight. If he were four inches shorter with a shorter reach, larger lower legs and thicker trunk, he'd be a completely different person. Who knows what kind of fighter he'd be?

This complaining about Jones' physical dimensions is ridiculous. If you pay attention to the sport, you'll notice that the guys who are built like him (tall and lanky) are generally mediocre fighters. Did you not see Cole Miller lose a striking match to a guy in Nam Phan who was seven inches shorter last Saturday? What about Cyrille Diabate, Stefan Struve, Kendall Grove, Tamdan McCrory, Dan Hornbuckle, Corey Hill, Roli Delgado, Walel Watson etc.? I can go on and on. Those are guys who had extreme height and reach advantages relative to their opponents in their respective weight classes, and none of them have had anything near the success that Jones has. Diabate is slightly taller than Jones, and has a slightly shorter wingspan, why don't you look up how well he did against Shogun, who was one of Jones' recent opponents that you're referring to?

I'm not saying that Jones doesn't make good use of his physical advantages, but almost all top level fighters have some sort of innate physical advantage. My point is that if Jones is only dominating because of his body type, then it stands to reason that there should at least one other fighter with a similar physique going on a tear in MMA.
Thom is offline  Top