View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
counterpuncher

vCash: 500
Default Re: Chris Eubank Sr: Overtraining doesn't exist!?

I can't say that I've ever been overtrained to the point where I needed a week off to get back to normal.
But every so often (roughly once a month) I'll hit a training session where everything feels heavy. (arms, legs, shoulders, ect)
The first clue is my shadowboxing. 95% of the time it's crisp, with good speedy combos and lightness in footwork and head movements.
But when I'm overreached my arms are very heavy, footwork is labored, and I have no interest in continuing.
On those nights, I bag it, take a shower, eat a lot of food, and sleep.
Next day, I'm good to go.
Granted, there are days when I'm tired when my training starts, but I shake it off quickly while warming up, and usually have great sessions after that.
But on those infrequent occasions when a good warmup doesn't kick my ass into gear, I take a step back and live to fight another day instead of digging myself into a hole.
I've worked construction for the last 24 years, so I know what it means to suck it up in order to do a job. It's not an option to lay down when you have obligations to meet.
But with training hard, sometimes it's better to take a step back in order to take two steps foward.
counterpuncher is offline  Top