View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #22
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Amos Johnson 'How I Beat Cassius Clay'

TED822

'Atom Amos' Johnson fought several of the Top European Heavweights in the mid-1960's.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday Night - October 19, 1965

Empire Pool, Wembley, London

{#8} Henry Cooper 31-10-1 (21 KO's) vs. {#14} Amos Johnson 19-3-2 (9 KO's)

'Atom Amos' Johnson (196 lbs.) boxed circles around Henry Cooper (190 lbs.), in winning
a 'one-sided' 10-Round Decision.

'Atom Amos' (Age; 26 1/2) was too strong for Ol 'Enry (Age; 31), and moved him all over the ring,
by scoring with solid right jabs, and left crosses.

'Atom Amos' Johnson floored the British Heavyweight 'twice' with left hands, and had Ol 'Enry
reeling badly throughout the 10-Round bout.

In the 1st-Round, 'Atom Amos' dropped Henry Cooper with a 'wicked' left hand to body, which
had Henry 'writhing in pain'.

And again, in the 6th-Round 'Atom Amos' whipped in a left hook to the liver, and then the 'bread-basket',
dropping the British Heavyweight.

Henry Cooper was only able to get in his 'famed' left hook, once in the 1st-Round, and a few times
in Round 4 and Round 7.

Referee Harry Gibbs voted for the American, Amos Johnson.

The 'Boxing Press' voted for Amos Johnson by a score of 7-2-1 in Rounds.

UPI scored it, 7-3-0 for Amos Johnson. And '2' of the Rounds were awarded to Henry Cooper 'by fouls'.

After the bout, 'Atom Amos' said he was going to Las Vegas to watch the Cassius Clay
vs. Floyd Patterson 'Heavyweight Championship'.

'I want the winner. If it's Clay, no problem. I beat Clay before, and I'll beat him again'.

'If it's Floyd, he'll be lucky to last 10-Rounds with me, as they'll be picking his chin
off the canvas'.

'Atom Amos' Johnson improved his record to 20-3-2 (9 KO's) with the victory over
#8 ranked Henry Cooper.

The 26 1/2 year-old - Medina, Ohio (southpaw Heavyweight) was moved up to #8 in the
Heavyweight rankings after this October 1965 victory.

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/mBPI...xYAvsQ/140.jpg

Last edited by Senor Pepe'; 08-14-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top