View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm really, really glad that Frankie Edgar lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
You completely disagree on the basis of "if he got the win", when in reality he didn't get the win? Pretty weird reason to 'completely disagree' over.
I'm not taking on the argument that Edgar is on his way to being the best lightweight ever. At the moment he is not the best lightweight, and his career is still unfinished. I'm taking the argument that last night's fight doesn't do anything to take away any greatness Edgar may go on to achieve.

In reality, Edgar got the win. The official result does not matter here. My perception is my reality, and I perceived him to be the winner. If you asked me to give you my lightweight rankings right now, Edgar would be occupying the top spot.

Do you think boxing historians look at Pernell Whitaker's record and think how much better his career would have been had he won the decision against Chavez? No, speaking in a general sense, they consider the Chavez fight a W instead of a D.

Where the official result ends up hurting Edgar is what fights he gets in the future. He may be going to 145. He won't be facing the best possible opponent in every fight, because he doesn't have a belt anymore. If Edgar continues to fight at 155, there are plenty of opportunities for him to prove his greatness.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top