View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Pastor eliminated Lem Franklin from contention for a crack at Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
This from an interview in the rum up to the Buddy Baer rematch.

"I'd fight Lem Franklin with the greatest of pleasure. Roxy and Chappie don't think much of him, but I know he's improved. I keep track of all them fellas. I'm going to see Franklin fight Bob Pastor in Febuary. I've seen him two or three times. I saw him lose a six round decision to Freddie Fiducia in the Garden. He hasn't hit Freddie yet but that was four years ago and Freddie knew to much for him. He's a right-hand puncher who depends on punching and has a brittle right hand. I hope that right hand stays in good repair and he keeps them fellas out until September. I'll be looking for an appointment around that time."

Pastor, not a puncher, stopped him of course, then he went waaay back. Anyone got any details? Needs looking into that one.

Anyway, Franklin is someone who is occasionally mentioned as a fighter Louis ducked. Louis seemed very keen.

One should never confuse what a fighter says in the press with reality. The Freddie Fuducua match was Franklin’s 5th professional fight. Here’s the truth. From 1940-1942. Franklin won 20 matches in a row, including KO’s over Simon and Musto. Louis gave title shots to Simon and Muston in 1941. Franklin also Ko’d Sheppard, Bivins, and Reddish during this time same time period. Franklin was very qualified.

Franklin was a puncher, and IMO Louis could have easily made a match with him, but opted not to. The risk vs. reward was not in Louis favor. One loss back then did not take a man out of the picture for many in the bum of the month club.

Elmer Ray was another fighter who was worthy of a title match with Louis. In Louis 26 title defenses, he only fought two black men, one of whom was sick ( John Henry Lewis ) , and the other really made him look bad by flooring him twice, and winning the majority of the rounds in both matches ( Walcott ).

Last edited by Mendoza; 08-13-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Mendoza is offline  Top