View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #17
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxinScienceUSA View Post
if i heard correctly at the last coaches clinic, the president of our lbc, who's also been involved with the technical rule talks, said that the 'no head guard rule' will apply to all aiba qualifying tounaments. that makes sense and doesn't make it so black and white, leaving a lot of grey area.

going off that thinking USA Boxing touneys for districts, regionals, nationals, etc will be no headgear. golden gloves, pal and military could use headgear in their tournaments unless it's an olympic selection year when when all organizations must abide by aiba rules to be considered for the olympic team.

"know the rules, win the game!" until the new rules are posted from aiba and i can read the facts, this is all fun, recreational conversation.

in my opinion, i like headgear because it reduces the damage from minor blows. for major hits the damage is still being done to the brain (when i get hit hard and my head snaps back, my brain is bouncing off the front of my skull. when a hard hook lands, rotational force rips some of the fibres from the stem to the brain) even with headgear.

and if 'no headgear' is so safe why would the women still use it? because it's really not? would that be an administrative contradiction? and why? just so we can get fans back in the seats by making it look like the pros.

and really, the 10point must system doesn't make any sense. it's all based on opinion. i prefer returning to the 20 point must system which is the balance between judging AND awarding points for clean scoring blows. as long as there are humans judging without a set criteria to judge from (like in gymnastics/figure skating) there's always going to be room for controversy.
Here are the rules, this is what passed:

http://www.boksing.no/files/%7BEB0C6...0FB1BA3%7D.pdf
dealt_with is offline  Top