Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: James toney: The best I've faced

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post

He tried countering Griffin off the ropes, but Griffin was very tricky. Roy was a very good inside fighter.
He didn't look too skilled on the inside to me. Sosa was about the crudest brawler you could get and Roy was hardly pulling a Toney-Barkley performance in close there, he was actually taking a few hits from Sosa's clubbing blows while unnecessarily positioned against the ropes and landed his best punches once he created space.

McCallum didn't have the option of doubling or tripling up on a left uppercut while still being able to move away from the opponent's punches. He relied on positioning, gaining proper leverage on the inside, subtle footwork that allowed him to work different angles seemingly effortlessly and accurate placement of punching, techniques that he was still able to pull off well into his 30's.

I'm not trying to denigrate Jones while hyping up McCallum, it's just how I see it. There are things that Jones was more exceptional at than McCallum, but inside fighting certainly wasn't one of them.
TheGreatA is offline  Top