PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Muay Thai: Technique Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
Yes welcome back bk!

That's interesing about the lack of combination drilling in Thailand, in boxing over here it's the opposite. If you are throwing hard single strikes you'll get told to focus more on fast combinations, I guess that's just because the sports are very different.

I don't train Muay Thai or Kickboxing and doubt I ever will do so(I might visit Thailand someday in a few years and train a bit when I'm there) but I really enjoy watching it and reading about it. One thing I was wondering when you talked about how Faran's are almost 'robotic' in nature and how single hard strikes are prefered to combinations is the setting up of strikes. In boxing of course you set up your combinations with a jab etc. You are always thinking ahead of your opponent but you say that in Muay Thai a single hard strike at the perfect time is better. So does this mean that Thai fighters don't set up there strikes and just react to their opponent or do they set up strikes in another way?
What I was taught was that way is "staying in the pocket" and using the higher skills of MT evasion, timing, catching and checking to "invite" your opponent to throw something and makes him look foolish and clumsy with a miss - capping it off by landing something better.

Training farang is different and especially the higher weights. What works for lightweights does not necessarily translate to cruiser weights or heavyweights. A huge difference for example is that thais who fight MT have generally done so from a young age and have grown into southpaw. Westerners have not and frequently any athletic person who shows interest in MT has had a decade of conventional (right hand) based training to build their right arm and right leg dexterity which has to addressed and even'd up.

A favourite little point of mine - the thais play volleyball with their feet, westerners with their hands.
PIRA is offline  Top